Friday, September 23, 2011

A Fitness BLOG is Born

As someone who is passionate about health and fitness and sees dozens of articles on the subject every day, it doesn't surprise me how confusing all of this data is to most people. It makes it difficult to feel confident about, let alone act upon, even the most basic knowledge of the subject.  This confusion sometimes extends even to the "gym rats" I rub shoulders with constantly. 
There's not a day that goes by without someone asking me about the value of this or that exercise, whether they should be using a specific supplement, when and what they should be eating, or what I think about a new study being discussed in the latest newspaper or muscle rag.  I always try to give an honest answer, based on over 40 years of reading, applying various techniques to my own efforts, and coaching countless     colleagues over the years.    
Further, I try to explain why something does or doesn't work, what clinical trials have shown, and what I hypothesize, where trials have yet to show results. The why something works, the underlying theory or concept, is more important than the finding itself, because the concept can be extended and applied to a broader set of applications.
On the few occasions where I don't know or haven't heard of something, I say so, but you can be sure that once I get home and get on-line I'm going to find out. 
I'm definitely patient with the denizens of my gym, and they're gradually becoming more educated, as evidenced by both increasingly sophisticated questions and improved results.
Despite this educational success, I have remained a bit frustrated that I can't pass along the knowledge I have gained and the lessons I have learned to a broader set of individuals, assisting them in achieving their fitness or athletic goals.
Out of this frustration was spawned the idea for this BLOG.  It will be my forum to educate whomever choses to read it. But as a former public school teacher and college instructor, my goal is not simply to lecture, but to challenge the reader to learn and think for themselves.  It's very similar to the "give a man a fish versus teach a man to fish" adage.  I want to teach my readers to fish for the truth in the hyperbola and misinformation that contaminates the fitness and sports performance world. In coming posts, you'll see just what I mean.
I think I'm up to the challenge and I know my readers are.  Let's take it to the next level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment